Virago Fuel Pump Relocation
XV-1000 & XV-1100 Virago
When buying an aftermarket exhaust system it may be necessary to relocate the fuel pump in order to install the rear pipe. Before you start your exhaust system installation be sure to read the instructions carefully.
You will need a piece of 3/16” thick x 5.5” wide x 9” long aluminum, electrical tape or shrink
tubing, (4) 16mm x 1⁄2” long stainless steel bolts w/nuts and lock washers, about 8” of fuel line and (2) additional hose clamps.
1) Remove the seat and side covers.
2) Remove the negative battery cable from the battery as a safety precaution.
3) Remove the old exhaust system.
4) Unplug the fuel pump wire located under the seat.
5) Drain all the fuel from the system by removing the hose on the fuel pump at the inlet side.
6) Remove the second fuel line from the fuel pump. (outlet to carbs)
7) Make bracket according to sketch shown below.
8) Use 18-gauge wire to extend the power plug to the wire harness. (Approx 8” longer)
9) Mount factory fuel pump bracket using 16mm x 1⁄2” long bolts & lock washers (Stainless Steel preferred)
10) Mount fuel pump to factory bracket.
11) Install fuel lines to fuel pump. (Outlet to carbs) and (Inlet to reserve tank)
12) Install factory chrome fuel pump cover.
13) Mount fuel pump bracket assembly to original fuel pump mount on frame.
14) Run power wire to harness. (Be careful to avoid pinching wire against frame)
15) Secure fuel lines using wire ties being careful not to over tighten.
1) When feeding fuel pump wire harness to plug be careful not to run the wire where potential pinching or heat can eventually damage the wire.
2) You may notice that the fuel line needs to be bent too sharply to feed fuel so you may need to get 90-degree couplers to eliminate a kink in the line.
3) Avoid putting fuel line near the exhaust system. You may want to fabricate a heat shield
mounted on the rear exhaust pipe bracket.
Drawing and pictures below